Saturday 2 December 2023

The Shores of Infant Sea: Art exhibition at Nuneaton Art Gallery

 

An art exhibition for toddlers and young children runs from 17 November 2023 to 18 March 2024.

 


This exhibition shows oil paintings from Rachel Shirley’s children’s books:

Katie’s Magic Teapot and the Cosmic Pandas

Katie and the Pandas’ Deep Sea Voyage

And Ben’s Little Big Adventure.


Art Exhibition for Toddlers

The exhibition consists of oil paintings from my three children’s books.

The aim of this exhibition is to introduce children from toddler age to art galleries. The paintings show a child of three learning about the world from her flying teapot.

Another book describes a little boy’s quest for a midnight snack.

The aim of this exhibition is to bring young children to exhibitions.

Without realising, clues to my own toddlerhood have eked into these paintings.


Andy Pandy and Teddy of My Toddlerhood

The ‘panda’ come from Andy Pandy, a BBC children’s programme I would have watched in toddlerhood. This is due to the sound-echo. A teddy bear, and ragdoll (like Ted and Looby Loo) also appear.

The space aspect comes from the Moon Landings in July 1969. A lot of space exploration was on TV in my toddlerhood.

Waking up to the world is like coming to sand from the sea. This is where the oceans come.

The teapot symbolises home and family. People often gather around a teapot. Here, it becomes a vessel in which to explore.

Opening Time Winter hours

Thursday 11am-3.45pm

Friday: 11am-3.45pm

Saturday: 10.30am-4pm

Raising Money for Barnardo’s

I aim to exhibit these paintings before selling them at an auction or finding them a home where they can brighten up a public space. All moneys will go to Barnardo’s.

I am now using my art to raise money for Barnardo’s.


Link to Rachel Shirley Books Online

Katie’s Magic Teapot Omnibus Edition

Ben’s Little Big Adventure

My Author Page on Amazon

My YouTube Channel

No comments: