Oil Painting Medic is a practical guide to oil painting techniques, materials and troubleshooting. Begin with Home or Start Here. Browse my Artbooks and What’s Trending. With copious articles covering portraiture, landscapes, still life, and problem solving, this blog helps artists improve technique and overcome challenges. Navigate by theme in the sidebar.

I’m Confused about Alkyd Mediums for Oil Paints. What are They For?

Alkyds are special painting mediums made from an oil‑modified resin treated with alcohol and acid, hence the fusion of both words to create the term “alkyd.” The result is a honey‑coloured substance that dries quickly to a hard enamel. All alkyd mediums dry much faster than the traditional drying oils used with oil paint, enabling the artist to apply a second coat the following day.

How Alkyds Are Used in Oil Painting

Alkyd mediums for oil painting
Types of Liquins for Oil Colours
Alkyd is the carrier of alkyd paints, which is a painting medium in its own right and different from oil paints. However, alkyd medium can be added to traditional oils to create “alkyd oils.”

Alkyds are designed for glazing techniques as the medium adds translucency and accelerates drying. The drying rate of traditional oils can be sped up by around fifty percent, although thickness of paint and environmental factors play a role. An oil painting that becomes touch‑dry in 5–12 days may become touch‑dry in 2–6 days with alkyd mediums. This may help the artist decide whether to use alkyd medium or oil medium in a painting — or to opt for water‑mixable oils.

Alkyds also leave a semi‑matt finish, in contrast to the glossy finish of traditional oil mediums such as linseed oil. There is a wide array of alkyd mediums on the market — what are they all for?

How to Use Alkyd Mediums

Although alkyd mediums can be added to traditional oil paints that use linseed oil as their carrier, I personally would never use both alkyd medium and an oily medium in the same painting. Their conflicting drying rates — alkyd fast, oil slow — can set up stresses in the paint layer and cause cracking. Another mistake is mixing varnish with alkyd or oil medium. Varnish is designed to be a varnish, not a medium.

Liquin (Liquin Original)

Liquin is a general‑purpose alkyd medium that offers a semi‑gloss finish. It accelerates drying, improves flow and reduces brushstrokes. It is ideal for glazing and detailed work and does not yellow like some oils. Although it dries to a hard enamel, do not use it as a varnish.

Liquin Fine Detail Medium

Also known as alkyd flow medium, this is the most fluid of the alkyds. It is designed for high detail and fine glazes, promoting excellent flow. It is non‑yellowing and dries to a hard, even enamel‑like surface, ideal for smooth effects.

Liquin Light Gel Medium

This alkyd medium is similar to Liquin Fine Detail Medium but leaves a gloss finish, like linseed oil. It is ideal for detail, glazing and adding flow. It is durable and slightly heavier than Liquin Fine Detail Medium.

Liquin Impasto Medium

A quick‑drying alkyd medium that leaves a semi‑gloss finish. It adds body to the paint, making it go further, and is ideal for impasto effects. Oleopasto medium offers a more matt finish. Both impasto mediums have a brownish appearance that does not affect the colour once mixed in. Add about 1 part medium to 4 parts oil colour to thicken the paint. Too much medium will weaken the pigment’s tinting strength.

Liquin Oleopasto Medium

Alkyds and impasto mediums for oil painting
Alkyds and Impasto Mediums
Similar to Liquin Impasto Medium but leaves a more matt finish. Both mediums are excellent for impasto effects such as cutting through paint with a palette knife or creating textured passages. They are non‑yellowing and dry quickly.

What Alkyd Mediums Are For

All alkyd mediums share common characteristics: they are non‑yellowing, fast‑drying and leave a hard, durable finish. Alkyd paints comprise pigments suspended in alkyd, not to be confused with oil paints. However, alkyd medium can be added to oil paints to create “alkyd oils.”

Alkyd paints are designed for glazing techniques, but some alkyd mediums such as Oleopasto will bulk up the paint for impasto work. Alkyds offer less gloss than oily mediums and accelerate drying. Never use alkyd medium and oil medium together in the same painting, as their differing drying rates can cause cracking. Similarly, never mix alkyd medium with varnish — varnish is not a painting medium.

More Advice About Using Oil Mediums

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have used the Liquin in the past and found that it did yellow my painting. The painting in question was a white study that changed to an "antique" grayish brownish tint in less than a year.
Rachel said…
Hi thanks for comment. Sorry to hear about this. Liquin on the face of it is supposed to be non yellowing, as it is an alkyd resin rather than oil based. I have used it without problem, but sometimes unexpected things happen with art materials due to any one of many factors. It might be worth cleaning the painting with a dedicated painting cleaner or removing the varnish (if it is varnished) as this will attract dirt. Chemicals in art materials can denature if exposed to heat or light. You could contact the manufacturer to alter them of this problem.
Anonymous said…
Rachel, thanks for your reply. No, the painting was not varnished when this happened. It was only 6 months old at the time this happened. I did find that the Galkyd light that Gamblin does not yellow like the Liquin, so I switched over. So far, so good.
Anonymous said…
By the way, I just want you to know that I did not post what I did to advertise Gamblin or anything. I tried some other alkyds, too. The walnut M. Graham had some yellowing but not much. I tried the Galkyd light because someone else was trying it. I had it dry out in a container. It had a white color to it instead of a yellow-y goldish color or brownish color when it dried.
Thank you for your blog. It is very helpful.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for your post about alkyd. Somehow I never found any info about it and thus I had to postpone using this medium several years. And now in these days I had to try it because of some reasons.
If I had read your post before the first step, I had save a lot of time: I used it with varnish mixed and wondered why painting cracking so badly. I guessed wrong way, that alkyd might attack the underground (another sheet of oil painting). So, I tried this way or this way. A lot of wasting time, really.
Now I read in your post, you ought to use alkyd alone. Wonderful.

Just another question: what happens when I mix alkyd with terpentine?
Best greeting
Namby said…
Walnut alkyd medium was new to me a year ago when I retired and took up painting again, so I was elated to discover how the oil colors "popped" once I brushed it over an old oil painting of mine like a varnish. Well, after about a year, my 30" x 40" oil painting (never varnished), has yellowish-brown ripples running over the surface. Ack! Is it possible to remove the medium? I tried rubbing the surface with Mona Lisa paint thinner, but it didn't come off. Would turpentine work, do you think? Any other suggestions? I really like this painting and planned to show it in a big regional show last spring, but it was canceled due to the virus. Good thing I didn't sell it to someone considering what it looks like now.
Rachel said…
Hello Namby. thanks for your question. How unfortunate. As I understand, you have used Walnut alkyd medium as a varnish. Some oils yellow with age and therefore I varnish my paintings only with varnish (not a medium) of the sort that are non-yellowing such as the nonorganic kind. I have never used a medium as a varnish. Is the painting on canvas or panel? Are you able to post an image of the oil painting on this blog, or elsewhere and provide a link. I will try to come up with a suggestion. Best wishes.
Nirglobal said…
Fantastic. How do you do this that this blog is so good? For more info: alkyd resin
Anonymous said…
Hello, thank you for all the great information. One question, you mentioned that alkyds leave a matte finish when compared to oils but most of the mediums discussed had gloss/semigloss finishes. Could you clarify that or perhaps offer an example of an alkyd medium that has a matte finish? I am working on a project and desire a finish that is not too glossy. Thank you!
Rachel said…
Hello and thanks for question. The Winsor and Newton Griffin range is a good selection of alkyd paints that offer a matte finish. It is fast drying and glazes can be applied quickly. I always stick to the tried and tested brands. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

I Can't Paint Shadows on Portraits

I’m Confused about Oil Painting Mediums, What are they For?

Oil Painting the Mona Lisa: a Portrait Painting Challenge in 48 Steps Hardback

My Artist Inspiration has Dried Up: How do I Get More Creative?

What Type of Canvas Should I Use for Oil Painting?

Avoiding Muddy Colours When Painting Dark Skin in Oils

How do I Paint Reflections in the Eyes of my Portrait?

Oil Painting Tips for Fish Found in Coral Reefs

Guide to Water Mixable Oil Mediums for Oil Paints

What Art Techniques can I use to Paint Underwater Scenes?